Business Enterprise Studies
Examination Board: Pearson Edexcel
Course Title: BTEC Level 1/2 Tech Award in Enterprise
Why should I choose to study Business?
The BTEC Tech Award in Enterprise has been designed to provide an engaging and stimulating introduction to the world of business. The aim of the course is to encourage personal development of knowledge and skills relevant to the business world through practical participation in a range of vocational business activities. This course will give you the opportunity to enter employment in the business sector or to progress to other vocational qualifications, such as the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Business
What will I learn?
You will study a range of topics which include:
- Enterprise; Explore how market research helps enterprises meet customer needs and understand competitor behaviour; Investigate the factors that contribute to the success of an entrepreneur
- Micro-Enterprise; Explore ideas and plan for a micro-enterprise activity; Pitch a micro-enterprise activity; Review own pitch for a micro-enterprise activity.
- Promotion and Financial Records; Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of elements of promotion and financial records; Interpret and use promotional and financial information in relation to a given enterprise; Make connections between different factors influencing a given enterprise; Be able to advise and provide recommendations to a given enterprise on ways to improve its performance
What will be expected of me?
You will be expected to complete a written exam and three units of coursework. During lessons tasks will mostly be written using ICT but there are also practical tasks such as presentations throughout the course. Active participation will be expected. Independent research skills will be needed when completing coursework and an ability to meet deadlines and keep organised with all written assignment work.
What skills will I develop?
- Knowledge and understanding of business functions, environments and operations in a practical way that is relevant to today’s work environment.
- Interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Research, application and analytical skills through investigative work
- Independence to select and apply skills through processes and effective use of resources
- Team working, time management, personal organisation and problem solving skills.
How will I be assessed?
Component one and two are coursework based and worth 60%, marked internally by the assessor/teacher and moderated by Edexcel. Component three is worth 40% and is an externally assessed exam marked by Edexcel which can be taken twice in the final year of the course.
Where will this qualification lead me?
Achievement at Level 2 provides a suitable foundation for further study within the sector, supporting progression on to other vocational qualifications at Level 3, such as the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Business.