Examination Board: Pearson Edexcel
Course Title: BTEC Level 2 Technical Award in Child Development
Why should I choose to study Child Development?
The Pearson BTEC Level 2 Technical Award in Child Development is for learners who want to acquire technical knowledge, and technical skills, through planning, developing and adapting play opportunities suitable for young children across five areas of development.
What will I learn?
The Award gives learners the opportunity to develop applied knowledge and understanding of child development and growth up to the age of five. How children learn through play, and how meeting the needs of individual children will support their development through play and learning.
In a practical learning environment, learners will have the opportunity to develop knowledge and technical skills in the following areas:
- The characteristics of children’s development from birth up to five years.
- Factors that affect growth and development.
- The importance of play.
- How play promotes children’s learning and development.
- Reasons why children may need support.
- Child-friendly environments to support play, learning and development in children from birth to five years old
- Supporting all children to learn and develop physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially.
What will be expected of me?
You will be expected to complete a written examination and two units of coursework. During lessons tasks will mostly be written but there are also practical tasks such as role-play throughout the course. Full participation will be expected. Research skills will be needed when completing coursework and an ability to meet deadlines and keep organised with all written work.
What skills will I develop?
- Applying knowledge and understanding in vocational and realistic contexts.
- Developing and applying practical and technical skills.
- Acting with increasing independence to select and apply skills through processes and with effective use of resources.
- Achieve, explain and review the success of intended outcomes.
- Developing skills for work through management of self and working in a team.
How will I be assessed?
Components 1 and 2 are assessed through internal assessment, meaning it will be marked by the teacher and a sample sent away for moderation. Component 3: Supporting Children to Play, Learn and Develop, is assessed through a single external examination.
Where will this qualification lead me?
Achievement at Level 2 provides a suitable foundation for further study within the sector, supporting progression on to other vocational qualifications at Level 3, such as the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Child Development.