Local Governing Body Members to start in January 2022 for Barton Manor School
The Barton Court Academy Trust seeks to appoint Local Governing Body (LGB) Governors for Barton Manor School
Barton Court Academy Trust (BCAT) is a multi-academy Trust which was established in 2017.
It currently consists of two secondary schools: Barton Court Grammar School, an 11-18 years, mixed selective school in the heart of Canterbury, rated “Good” with many outstanding features by Ofsted in February 2020, and The Charles Dickens School, an 11-16 years mixed non-selective school in Broadstairs, which came out of special measures and is rated “Requires Improvement” by Ofsted in June 2019 and is a rapidly improving school.
The Trust is also opening Barton Manor Free School, an 11–18 years non-selective mixed school in the heart of Canterbury on the former Chaucer School site in September 2022 to Year 7.
What does an LGB Governor do?
The role of LGB Governor is a voluntary one, requiring a high degree of commitment and confidentiality. It is a thinking and questioning role, not a "doing" role. Governors are responsible for ensuring that the vision, ethos and strategic direction are implemented and are responsible for holding the Headteacher and senior leaders to account for the performance of the School.
- Contribute to the strategic discussions at LGB meetings.
- Hold senior leaders to account by monitoring the School's performance.
- Ensure the school staff have the resources and support they require to do their jobs well and that the way in which those resources are used has impact.
- When required, to serve on panels with Directors of the Trust.
- Attending the Local Governing Body Meetings regularly.
- Attend briefings/training events run by KCC.
What skills are we looking for?
- Dealing with colleagues at all levels;
- Ability to challenge constructively and help find solutions;
- An appreciation of the value of education.
- 6 meetings a year, each lasting approximately 2 hours, there is an expectation to have read’ documents sent in advance for the meeting
- Monitoring Visits in school 2-3 times per year
- Governor professional development which includes, but not exclusive to, annual online Governor training to include Safeguarding, Prevent and GDPR and a governor training event 1 x ½ day in the year
- Invitation to school events on an ad-hoc non-compulsory basis.
What are the benefits of becoming an LGB Governor?
- Professional development through a range of training courses;
- Being able to take skills back to the workplace: reading and interpreting data, understanding the curriculum and making sure resources are used effectively and efficiently are just a few of the areas involved;
- Building relationships through a network of professional local people;
- Gaining an insight into how schools operate and identifying other ways that business can become more involved;
- Knowing that you are doing something very worthwhile for your community.
If you feel the role of LGB Governor is one that you could contribute to, then please send your CV and a brief personal statement giving information about your skills to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications is Friday 26 November 2021 @ 9am
The Barton Court Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure application via the Disclosure & Barring Service and check against the ISA Barred List for Children.