Examination Board: OCR
Course Title: Cambridge Nationals Level 2 Engineering Design
Why should I choose to study Engineering Design?
Engineering design is a process used to identify market opportunities and solve problems which contribute to the development of new products and systems. Learners will understand how market requirements and opportunities inform client briefs and will use practical skills such as drawing, computer modelling and model making to communicate design ideas. Learners will apply practical skills to produce a prototype in the form of a model and test design ideas to inform further product development. Through reflection, learners evaluate the prototype, making a comparable outcome against specification points, and assess possible, practical solutions and improvements to their prototype design.
What will I learn?
Students will learn to solve real and relevant problems, considering their own and other’s needs, wants and values. Students will use their creativity and imagination to design and make prototypes and final outcomes, experimenting with modern technology and a wide range of materials and processes.
What will be expected of me?
You will be expected to complete a 60 minute examination which is worth 60 marks focussed on design briefs, design specifications and user requirements and complete three coursework based units below:
- Products Analysis and Research. You will research existing products and the types of users and other design possibilities.
- Developing and presenting engineering design. You will develop different techniques to present your ideas professionally, such as 2D/3D pentation techniques including Computer Aided Design (CAD) which is reflected in industry.
- 3D Design Realisation. You will make a final product and you will need to document your making stages evidencing
- What skills will I develop? Identifying and investigating design possibilities, producing a design brief and specification, generating and developing design ideas, realising design ideas by producing 2D drawings, 3D modelling and prototypes, analysing and evaluating your outcome against the criteria.
How will I be assessed?
75% of this course is completed through coursework, across three units. The remaining 25% is assessed through an external examination.
Where will this qualification lead me?
A-Level Design Technology and Design focused university/college courses. Opportunities in Engineering, Design and STEM careers.